So here we go in the master bedroom. This is what the room looked like when we bought it (with the previous owner's furnishings).
During the late summer of 2008, about 6 months pregnant, I installed the woodwork treatment on the walls and painted everything a warm cream color. We had the white and cream colored bedding by then as well as a cream area rug. So, a lot of cream, and while I do like neutrals, I was feeling like the room needed some color. When I came across this upholstery fabric from Pottery Barn I loved it instantly, but was hesitant to bring orange into the room.
I'm typically drawn to blues and greens and whites so this was really out of my comfort zone, but in the end I really just loved the fabric and so took the leap and have not regretted it a day since. To me, the chair feels like perfect mix of contemporary, classic, and whimsical.
Pottery Barn had these orange and cream embroidered pillow shams around the same time I had the chair upholstered and so I added them to our bedding...and this is how the room sat for the next 3.5 years. I just sort of lost steam and direction on it as other projects (and 2 babies) took over.
So this past month or so, finally, I regrouped and decided to finish the bedding. I kept coming back to this ensemble from Serena & Lily:
I wasn't in the market for a new duvet, and wasn't sure I wanted quite that much navy in our room anyway, but I did like the play of orange and navy and so set out with my orange embroidered pillow shams in hand to track down a navy fabric from which to make three euro shams. When I came across this fabric by P Kaufmann (Jacobean Batik Floral - Inoteca Indigo) I knew instantly that it was what I wanted.
The drapes in our room are a textured cream, the rug is cream, the background of the chair fabric is cream, so this navy on a cream background felt right, even though I love the crisp look of navy on pure white.
I washed and dried the fabric before cutting anything because I wanted to be sure to get any shrinkage out of the way before making my shams, then followed the same process as in this post. The fabric for each sham was cut to 28x60". And a little tip for you if you need the actual pillow forms - they can be a bit pricey, but Sears, via kmart.com, sells a nice firm one for $9.99. Even if you have to pay shipping (and they often have free shipping promos) this is far, far cheaper than anywhere else I've seen.
My initial thought was to use the orange shams with the blue but it wound up feeling like way too much.
I tried the quilted king shams with the blue euro ones and like the look much more. They coordinate with the other colors in the duvet cover and match the quilt exactly so it made the whole bed feel more cohesive to me. And I still had the bit of orange in the lumbar pillow to tie in with the upholstered chair.
The lumbar pillow was a bit of a DIY as well. I made it by hacking up an old sham from Anthropologie I had stored in the attic. It started at 22" square, but the newly finished size is 12x22". I bought a cream velvet fabric to make back panels for an envelope closure back.
*To see an update to the master bedroom, click here.