Michaels had no non-metallic grey fabric paint the day I was there so I bought a bottle of Linen (ivory) and a small bottle of Ebony (black).
I mixed black into the ivory a few drops at a time until I got the grey color I wanted. I did find that the paint dried a bit darker than when it was wet so you may want to keep this in mind when choosing a color.
I painted the taped-off sections, then removed some of the tape and taped new parts of the design. I had to do the taping and painting at intervals because there were times when I had to go over already painted parts, and that paint needed to be dry before I could continue.
I continued this process until the entire pattern had been painted, then removed all the tape and let it dry completely.
Once dry, I put the pillow forms inside the covers and placed them on the bench. And I love them. They look just like the Caitlin Wilson Deco pillow and the canvas and grey colors are perfect with the ikat bench fabric.
I think the geometric deco pattern is the perfect angular complement to the more rounded ikat design.
I recently sold our kitchen window valances and have been staring at bare windows for a few weeks now trying to decide which way I want to go with them. I’m so happy with how this fabric painting project turned out, I think I may be jumping on the drop-cloths-turned-window-curtains bandwagon too.