I’ve been wanting to spruce up the built-ins in our home office for many months now, and am so excited to have finished the final step in their makeover.
You might remember some of the other steps I’ve taken along the way:
After caulking, spackling, sanding, painting, and adding new hardware, the shelves are all put back together and I couldn’t be happier with the new look.
To start, I needed to rip off the existing moulding from around the built-ins. I replaced that with 1×3 boards cut to size and angled 45º at the top corners. A hammer made it easier to get the old boards off and a nail gun made pretty quick work of getting the new boards up.
For the doors, I added the 1×3 boards right on top of the existing doors, nailed them in place, then mounted them to the surrounding moulding with new hinges.
I just love the subtle level of polish that moulding adds to a room.
Seeing the before and after impact of this project makes me even more excited to get to work on the walls in here. I think I’ll be heading down the road so many DIYers have trod before me, and giving board and batten a shot.
Hope you have a great start to the week!
Linking to It’s Overflowing, Liz Marie Blog, Craftberry Bush